Whether you are a professional or just a beginner discovering a love for interior designs, you cannot ignore the crucial role that furniture plays in designing just any space.
In fact, it is the first element people consider while planning for interiors.
No wonder, the first thing that comes to our mind upon seeing an empty room is ‘where is the furniture?’.
There are plenty of furniture styles available in the market that makes it challenging to pick the right fit for your home. So, you should always consider your space style before buying specific furniture items.
Don’t agree with me? Give this post a quick read, and you will decide that yes, furniture matters the most.
Furniture and Function
- Interior designers value furniture like librarians’ value books. They use different furniture items in types of built-in, ready-made and customized ones.
- Every furniture item is created keeping in mind user’s needs and function – by function, we mean how furniture support human activities.
- Beds were created for sleeping; dining tables for eating, and for sitting, designers made chairs.
Furniture and Space
- Furniture determines how well space is being utilized – what furniture items and furnishings will be used for maximum space utilization.
- Storage furniture items like utility storage cupboards, and large shoe cabinets are designed to maximize storage space in the house.
- Multi-functional furniture items like sofa beds, bunk beds, high sleeper bed with wardrobe are designed to serve multiple purposes making small spaces look big and organized.
Furniture and Visual Weight
- Visual weight is about having a well-balanced room that does not look overfilled or over cluttered.
- Interior designers arrange furniture items throughout the space so that room looks evenly weighted. Large furniture items are arranged with smaller ones to help even the visual points of interest.
- After placing all the furniture items, interior designers look at the room as a whole, analyze visual weight, and make adjustments accordingly.
Furniture and Personal Style
- Interior designers choose furniture not only to fill the room but also to match the expression of your personal After all, every one of us has a unique personality and so are our choices, unique. Some prefer simple designs, while others prefer complex ones. Furniture defines character and nature of a person.
- Interior designers choose furniture that complements our personality. The choices of furniture items genuinely reflect our perception – whether we prioritize style over comfort or comfort over trend.
- After integrating vast knowledge about furniture – by considering the function of the furniture, space utilization, visual weight, durability with unique style, interior designers choose the best furniture items for your room.
Here are the 12 points that narrate why and how furniture is one of the most important elements of interior design.
Do you agree with me that furniture comes first in interior design?
Feel free to share your thoughts/ ideas with us in the comments below.