Board and Batten Shutters add an aesthetic appeal to your homes. It gives a fresh beautiful look to your home. For people planning to get their homes revamped can get a nice look to their house just by including shutters. Choosing the right style, size combined with the right color can always give a fresh look to your home. Some of the common shutter styles include Bahama shutters, Raised panel shutters, Louvered shutters, Flat panel shutters and Board and Batten type of shutters. There was a time when shutters were only used for functional reasons. It was used to protect the home from extremes of weather and also keep intruders at bay. But nowadays shutters are an integral element in adding an elegant touch to your homes.
Adding a warm rustic touch to your homes:
Shutters like Board and Batten dates back its style from Spanish and Northeast Colonial homes along with Tudor homes, beach cottages and Northeaster brownstones. The style heavily borrows from the Ranch style architecture and is a perfect blend of functionality and aesthetics. So if you are planning to give a warm rustic look to your home, Board and Batten kind of shutters will give you that instant makeover. With the right combination of horizontal and vertical boards, the shutters add a dash of style to your homes. The right choice of color and material would bring the warmth that your home needs. These kinds of shutters can be made from wood, vinyl or composite. Wooden ones would give a vintage look to your homes. If you have watched those movies where beautiful farm houses are there on vast stretches of land giving a country home look, pay close attention to the shutters on the windows. The shutters are the Board and Batten type of shutters. Popular for country homes, the shutters add that rustic touch that you have been looking for your home. You can get these shutters in two-five piece style with space between them or having no space at all. It all depends on the preference of the consumer on how to get those boards for their windows. So for people looking to get a magnificent finish to their homes, Board and Batten shutters are the best option.
Steps to create your own Board and Batten type of shutter:
Borrowed from 18th style Ranch architecture, this shutter style is perfect for home owners seeking a country farmhouse feel for their homes. The best part of these kinds of shutters is that it is easy to use and maintain. Also making these kinds of shutters on your own is not that difficult. All you need to follow is a simple step by step procedure that would get you a nice shutter.
- The very first thing that you need to do is measure the dimensions of the windows. This will help you to know the amount of material you need to purchase. The shutters will be as tall as your windows but half width of your windows.
- After the measurements are taken you need to get the material. Choosing a material that is long-lasting is a great idea. Cedar is a good option that is long lasting and durable at the same time. Usually wood is a great idea when it comes to Board and Batten shutters.
- The next thing you need to do is lay out those vertical boards. Place these three boards one at a time. Apply some waterproof glue on the boards and connect them together.
- After this, you need to place the battens down on the vertical boards. You need to measure five or twelve inches from the bottom and top of these boards. Glue is needed to put these boards with others. Nails need to be placed in about every four to six inches. This will help in holding the boards together.
- Finally you need to decide whether you will paint or stain your shutters. You need to be sure to make it sure that it is waterproof. After your shutters are done try to place them. You need long screws to hold them up for your home. Four screws per shutters and your shutter is ready for your home.
These are some of the steps that would help you to get a nice shutter for your home. Stylish shutters are always the need for people looking to give a different elegant touch for their home. So get your own shutter by preparing it yourself or getting a reliable shutter manufacturer for your needs.